Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc., (NASDAQ: RIGL) is a biotechnology company dedicated to discovering, developing and providing novel small molecule drugs that significantly improve the lives of patients with immune and hematologic disorders, cancer and rare diseases. Rigel’s pioneering research focuses on signaling pathways that are critical to disease mechanisms. The company’ lead product TAVALISSE, is an oral spleen tyrosine kinase (SYK) inhibitor that targets the underlying autoimmune cause of the disease by impeding platelet destruction.
On Aug. 8, 2018, the company reported financial results for the second quarter of 2018 and provided an update on the commercial launch of TAVALISSE™ and the clinical development pipeline.
- On May 29, Rigel launched TAVALISSE™ (fostamatinib disodium hexahydrate) for the treatment of thrombocytopenia in adult patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) who have had an insufficient response to previous treatment.
- The TAVALISSE commercial team, at over 50 employees strong, is fully deployed and supporting ITP-prescribing physicians across the United States.
- RIGEL ONECARE™, Rigel’s comprehensive physician, and patient support center is assisting patients with access to TAVALISSE through insurance coverage and other patient support programs.
As per management, the second quarter of 2018 marked Rigel’s pivotal transition to a commercial stage company with the successful launch of TAVALISSE. The company is now aggressively communicating TAVALISSE’s attractive value proposition to patients, physicians, and payers: namely, its unique mechanism of action that targets an underlying cause of the disease, efficacy, oral dosing, safety profile, and comprehensive patient support and access programs.
Furthermore, beyond executing on its goal of making TAVALISSE a commercial success in chronic ITP following steroid treatment, the company continues to make impressive pipeline progress that it expects will fully leverage the commercial capabilities it now has in place. The management looks forward to providing a comprehensive corporate and pipeline update at its upcoming Investor and Analyst Day, which will be held in New York City this fall.
In the second quarter, Rigel continued to support the investigation of fostamatinib for other serious, autoimmune conditions including autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) and IgA nephropathy (IgAN). The fall of 2018 expects updates regarding pivotal programs in both indications.
Analysts tracking the stock believe that the company has made incredible progress in the recent past and the second half of 2018 holds great potential for the company. In fact, the efficient and timely commercialization of TAVALISSE for chronic ITP represents a huge milestone for Rigel and allows the company to rapidly advance its efforts to bring this therapy to a vast patient population, who are in dire need of treatment options. In addition to the commercialization of TAVALISSE, RIGL also completed significant financing for the company which furthered its runway substantially.
As per www.marketbeat.com, The average twelve-month price target on RIGL is $8.41, suggesting potential upside of 162.20%. The high price target for RIGL is $10.00, and the low-price target for RIGL is $7.00. There are currently six buy ratings for the stock, resulting in a consensus rating of “Buy.
Below are the excerpts of recent analyst rating on the stock:
About the company: The company’s first FDA approved product is TAVALISSE™ (fostamatinib disodium hexahydrate), an oral spleen tyrosine kinase (SYK) inhibitor, for the treatment of adult patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenia who have had an insufficient response to previous treatment. Rigel’s current clinical programs include Phase 2 studies of fostamatinib in autoimmune hemolytic anemia and IgA nephropathy. Besides, Rigel has product candidates in development with partners BerGenBio AS, Daiichi Sankyo, and Aclaris Therapeutics.
Second Quarter 2018 Results:
In thousands (except per share amount)
- Revenues: For the second quarter of 2018, Rigel reported net product sales from TAVALISSE of $1.8 million. The Company recognizes revenue using the sell-in methodology when products are delivered to its distributors. TAVALISSE was made available by prescription for the treatment of chronic ITP on May 29, 2018. There were no product sales or contract revenues from collaborations in the second quarter of 2017.
- Net Loss: For the second quarter of 2018, Rigel reported a net loss of $25.6 million, or $0.16 per share, compared to a net loss of $19.1 million, or $0.16 per share, in the same period of 2017.
- Liquidity and financial flexibility: As of June 30, 2018, Rigel had cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments of $135.0 million, compared to $115.8 million as of December 31, 2017. Rigel expects that its cash, cash equivalents, and short-term investments will be sufficient to support its current and projected funding requirements, including the on-going commercial launch of TAVALISSE for chronic ITP in the U.S., into the fourth quarter of 2019.
Key risk factors and potential stock drivers:
- Successful completion of the upcoming milestones would lead future direction for the company. Any adversities related to these forthcoming milestones might adversely impact the overall investor sentiments.
- RIGL is still an early stage entity and prospects are significantly dependent on TAVALISSE. Less than expected sales numbers in Q3’18 from Tavalisse could upset the investor’s sentiments.
- Furthermore, fostamatinib is still away from commercialization.
- RIGL has a history of operating losses. Therefore, any time or cost overrun in its ongoing R&D activities and its impact on business & financial profile will remain a key business sensitivity factor.
- On Wednesday, August 29th, 2018, RIGL is trading at $3.21, on an average volume of 2.0 million shares exchanging hands. Market capitalization is $523.214 million. The current RSI is at 64.52
- In the past 52 weeks, shares of RIGL have traded as low as $2.28 and as high as $4.71
- At $3.21, shares of RIGL are trading above its 50-day moving average (MA) at $2.89 and below its 200-day moving average (MA) at $3.59
- The present support and resistance levels for the stock are at $2.83 & $3.51 respectively.
Traders News Source is a wholly owned subsidiary of Traders News Source LLC, herein referred to as TNS LLC.
Traders News Source has not been compensated for this report by anyone and the opinions if any are that of the author Vikas Agrawal, CFA. Author’s Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours. I, wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in the article.
This web site, published by TNS LLC, and is an investment newsletter that is built on the premise of assisting individual investors in learning about investing. Our goal as publishers of financial information is to provide research and analysis of investments to our subscribers. TNS LLC does not give buy or sell recommendations. We do purchase distribution rights from analyst, financial writers and bloggers for a fee that may be licensed to issue price targets and recommendations. Furthermore, we encourage you to speak to a licensed professional prior to making an investment in any type of publicly traded security.
We do sell advertising to other companies including brokerage firms, web sites, publicly traded issuers, investor relations firms, and investment publications, among others. TNS LLC makes no warranty as to the policies of these organizations, and in no way endorses their offers, services, or the content of their advertisements.
When an advertiser is a publicly traded company or a third party acting on behalf of a public company, we fully disclose all compensation in the email advertisement. Such disclosure is included in a disclosure statement in each of the advertisements sent via email.
Our reports/releases are a commercial advertisement and are for general information purposes ONLY. We are engaged in the business of marketing and advertising companies for monetary compensation. Never invest in any stock featured on our site or emails unless you can afford to lose your entire investment. The disclaimer is to be read and fully understood before using our services, joining our site or our email/blog list as well as any social networking platforms we may use.
PLEASE NOTE WELL: TNS LLC and its employees are not a Registered Investment Advisor, Broker Dealer or a member of any association for other research providers in any jurisdiction whatsoever.
Release of Liability: Through use of this website viewing or using you agree to hold TNS LLC, its operator’s owners and employees harmless and to completely release them from any and all liability due to any and all loss (monetary or otherwise), damage (monetary or otherwise), or injury (monetary or otherwise) that you may incur. The information contained herein is based on sources which we believe to be reliable but is not guaranteed by us as being accurate and does not purport to be a complete statement or summary of the available data. TNS LLC encourages readers and investors to supplement the information in these reports with independent research and other professional advice. All information on featured companies is provided by the companies profiled or is available from public sources and TNS LLC makes no representations, warranties or guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the disclosure by the profiled companies. None of the materials or advertisements herein constitute offers or solicitations to purchase or sell securities of the companies profiled herein and any decision to invest in any such company or other financial decisions should not be made based upon the information provide herein. Instead TNS LLC strongly urges you conduct a complete and independent investigation of the respective companies and consideration of all pertinent risks. Readers are advised to review SEC periodic reports: Forms 10-Q, 10K, Form 8-K, insider reports, Forms 3, 4, 5 Schedule 13D.
TNS LLC is compliant with the Can Spam Act of 2003. TNS LLC does not offer such advice or analysis, and TNS LLC further urges you to consult your own independent tax, business, financial and investment advisors. Investing in micro-cap and growth securities is highly speculative and carries an extremely high degree of risk. It is possible that an investor’s investment may be lost or impaired due to the speculative nature of the companies profiled.
The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 provides investors a ‘safe harbor’ in regard to forward-looking statements. Any statements that express or involve discussions with respect to predictions, expectations, beliefs, plans, projections, objectives, goals, assumptions or future events or performance are not statements of historical fact may be “forward looking statements”. Forward looking statements are based on expectations, estimates, and projections at the time the statements are made that involve a number of risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results or events to differ materially from those presently anticipated. Forward looking statements in this action may be identified through use of words such as “projects”, “foresee”, “expects”, “will”, “anticipates”, “estimates”, “believes”, “understands”, or that by statements indicating certain actions & quote; “may”, “could”, or “might” occur.
Understand there is no guarantee past performance will be indicative of future results. In preparing this publication, TNS LLC has relied upon information supplied by its customers, publicly available information and press releases which it believes to be reliable; however, such reliability cannot be guaranteed. Investors should not rely on the information contained in this website. Rather, investors should use the information contained in this website as a starting point for doing additional independent research on the featured companies. The advertisements in this website are believed to be reliable, however, TNS LLC and its owners, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, representatives and agents disclaim any liability as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in any advertisement and for any omissions of materials facts from such advertisement. TNS LLC is not responsible for any claims made by the companies advertised herein, nor is TNS LLC responsible for any other promotional firm, its program or its structure.