Verastem, Inc. (NASDAQ: VSTM), or Verastem Oncology, is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing medicines to improve the survival and quality of life of cancer patients.
The company had an incredibly strong start to 2018, highlighted foremost by the acceptance of its duvelisib New Drug Application (NDA) by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), including the receipt of Priority Review with an assigned target action date of October 5, 2018.
Analysts tracking the stock believes that the FDA´s acceptance of their New Drug Application with Priority Review was a significant milestone and now the company is on its way to get its first FDA approval later this year, which is expected to drive a considerable upside in the stock. Also, the company recently made one oral and three poster presentations at the 23rd Congress of the European Hematology Association (EHA) being held June 14-17, 2018 in Stockholm, Sweden. The data presented at EHA this year continue to provide extremely important insights to guide the future clinical development of duvelisib across a wide range of hematologic malignancies, both as a monotherapy and in combination with other agents.
May-02-18 Initiated Seaport Global Securities Buy $14
Mar-08-18 Initiated B. Riley FBR, Inc. Buy $15
Below are the key excerpts of the data that were presented:
- Phase Ib/II study of duvelisib in combination with FCR (dFCR) achieves ORR of 94% and 76% bone marrow MRD negativity in frontline therapy in younger CLL patients
- Duvelisib demonstrates robust clinical activity in CLL with 73% ORR and a median of 15-month PFS in the DUO crossover study of patients who became relapsed/refractory to ofatumumab in DUO™
- Additional data support the hypothesis that duvelisib, a first-in-class dual inhibitor of PI3K delta/gamma, targets malignant B-cells directly and modulates the tumor microenvironment
Other recent announcements:
- On June 14th, the company announced $43.0 Million Offering of Common Stock. The offering is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to close on June 18, 2018.
- On June 5th, the company announced their entry into an exclusive licensing agreement for Yakult to develop and commercialize Verastem’s duvelisib, a first-in-class oral dual inhibitor of phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K)-delta and PI3K-gamma, for the treatment, prevention or diagnosis of all oncology indications in Japan. Verastem to Receive Upfront Payment of USD 10 Million, then Eligible to Receive Up to USD 90 Million in Future Milestones, Plus Royalties.
- On June 4th, VSTM announced the presentation of five posters highlighting data for its two lead drug candidates, duvelisib and defactinib, at the 54th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) being held June 1-5, 2018 in Chicago. The presented research continues to provide extraordinary evidence that the dual PI3K-delta/PI3K-gamma inhibitory activity of duvelisib results in beneficial anti-tumor effects on both the cancer cells and their supportive tumor microenvironment (TME) which has the potential to enhance clinical efficacy and improve outcomes for patients battling CLL/SLL and FL.
From a liquidity standpoint, Verastem Oncology had cash and cash equivalents of $64.2 million compared to $86.7 million of cash, cash equivalents and investments as of December 31, 2017, and Based on the Company’s current operating plans; it expects to have sufficient cash and cash equivalents to fund operations into 2019. It said another equity raise could not be ruled out for VSTM.
VSTM’ scrip continues to be on the rapid growth trajectory, supported by positive clinical results/announcements and successful financing. The market believes that the company is at a critical inflection point right now and 2018 is expected to be an incredible year for the company.
Latest Quarter Financial position:
- Net loss for the three months ended March 31, 2018 (2018 Quarter) was $21.1 million, or $0.41 per share, as compared to a net loss of $13.0 million, or $0.35per share, for the three months ended March 31, 2017 (2017 Quarter). Net loss includes non-cash stock-based compensation expense of $1.3 million and $1.2 million for the 2018 Quarter and 2017 Quarter, respectively.
- As of March 31, 2018, Verastem Oncology had cash and cash equivalents of $64.2 million compared to $86.7 million of cash, cash equivalents and investments as of December 31, 2017. From April 1, 2018, to May 3, 2018, the Company sold 5,903,073 shares of common stock under its at-the-market equity offering program (ATM) for net proceeds of approximately $21.9 million (after deducting commissions and other offering expenses). Giving effect to these sales under the ATM, the Company’s pro forma cash and cash equivalents balance at March 31, 2018, is approximately $86.1 million.
Key risk factors and potential stock drivers:
- The company is expected to receive FDA decision for its duvelisib on October 5, the same is likely to be a significant upward trigger for the company.
- VSTM is a clinical-stage company and expects to incur substantial operating losses during the next stages of corporate development.
- Company’s ability to maintain its liquidity and financial flexibility to fund its incremental capital requirements would continue to remain a critical stock sensitivity factor
- The biotech space is a high-risk sector due to uncertainties associated with the novel drug development. Any adversities related with the same could upset the stock performance significantly.
- On Tuesday, June 19th, 2018, VSTM was at $8.21, on volume of 3.4M shares exchanging hands. Market capitalization is $603 million. The current RSI is 75.07.
- In the past 52 weeks, shares of VSTM have traded as low as $2.05 and as high as $8.75
- At $8.21, shares of VSTM are trading significantly above its 50-day moving average (MA) at $4.87 and above its 200-day moving average (MA) at $3.97
- The present support and resistance levels for the stock are at $6.57 & $9.75 respectively.
Traders News Source is a wholly owned subsidiary of Traders News Source LLC, herein referred to as TNS LLC.
Traders News Source has not been compensated for this report by anyone and the opinions if any are that of the author Vikas Agrawal, CFA. Author’s Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours. I, wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in the article.
This web site, published by TNS LLC, and is an investment newsletter that is built on the premise of assisting individual investors in learning about investing. Our goal as publishers of financial information is to provide research and analysis of investments to our subscribers. TNS LLC does not give buy or sell recommendations. We do purchase distribution rights from analyst, financial writers and bloggers for a fee that may be licensed to issue price targets and recommendations. Furthermore, we encourage you to speak to a licensed professional prior to making an investment in any type of publicly traded security.
We do sell advertising to other companies including brokerage firms, web sites, publicly traded issuers, investor relations firms, and investment publications, among others. TNS LLC makes no warranty as to the policies of these organizations, and in no way endorses their offers, services, or the content of their advertisements.
When an advertiser is a publicly traded company or a third party acting on behalf of a public company, we fully disclose all compensation in the email advertisement. Such disclosure is included in a disclosure statement in each of the advertisements sent via email.
Our reports/releases are a commercial advertisement and are for general information purposes ONLY. We are engaged in the business of marketing and advertising companies for monetary compensation. Never invest in any stock featured on our site or emails unless you can afford to lose your entire investment. The disclaimer is to be read and fully understood before using our services, joining our site or our email/blog list as well as any social networking platforms we may use.
PLEASE NOTE WELL: TNS LLC and its employees are not a Registered Investment Advisor, Broker Dealer or a member of any association for other research providers in any jurisdiction whatsoever.
Release of Liability: Through use of this website viewing or using you agree to hold TNS LLC, its operator’s owners and employees harmless and to completely release them from any and all liability due to any and all loss (monetary or otherwise), damage (monetary or otherwise), or injury (monetary or otherwise) that you may incur. The information contained herein is based on sources which we believe to be reliable but is not guaranteed by us as being accurate and does not purport to be a complete statement or summary of the available data. TNS LLC encourages readers and investors to supplement the information in these reports with independent research and other professional advice. All information on featured companies is provided by the companies profiled or is available from public sources and TNS LLC makes no representations, warranties or guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the disclosure by the profiled companies. None of the materials or advertisements herein constitute offers or solicitations to purchase or sell securities of the companies profiled herein and any decision to invest in any such company or other financial decisions should not be made based upon the information provide herein. Instead TNS LLC strongly urges you conduct a complete and independent investigation of the respective companies and consideration of all pertinent risks. Readers are advised to review SEC periodic reports: Forms 10-Q, 10K, Form 8-K, insider reports, Forms 3, 4, 5 Schedule 13D.
TNS LLC is compliant with the Can Spam Act of 2003. TNS LLC does not offer such advice or analysis, and TNS LLC further urges you to consult your own independent tax, business, financial and investment advisors. Investing in micro-cap and growth securities is highly speculative and carries an extremely high degree of risk. It is possible that an investor’s investment may be lost or impaired due to the speculative nature of the companies profiled.
The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 provides investors a ‘safe harbor’ in regard to forward-looking statements. Any statements that express or involve discussions with respect to predictions, expectations, beliefs, plans, projections, objectives, goals, assumptions or future events or performance are not statements of historical fact may be “forward looking statements”. Forward looking statements are based on expectations, estimates, and projections at the time the statements are made that involve a number of risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results or events to differ materially from those presently anticipated. Forward looking statements in this action may be identified through use of words such as “projects”, “foresee”, “expects”, “will”, “anticipates”, “estimates”, “believes”, “understands”, or that by statements indicating certain actions & quote; “may”, “could”, or “might” occur.
Understand there is no guarantee past performance will be indicative of future results. In preparing this publication, TNS LLC has relied upon information supplied by its customers, publicly available information and press releases which it believes to be reliable; however, such reliability cannot be guaranteed. Investors should not rely on the information contained in this website. Rather, investors should use the information contained in this website as a starting point for doing additional independent research on the featured companies. The advertisements in this website are believed to be reliable, however, TNS LLC and its owners, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, representatives and agents disclaim any liability as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in any advertisement and for any omissions of materials facts from such advertisement. TNS LLC is not responsible for any claims made by the companies advertised herein, nor is TNS LLC responsible for any other promotional firm, its program or its structure.